Thursday, May 28, 2015

What's In My Grooming Box and How Do I Use It?

Down time at work and I haven't blogged much in 2 months, so, because I know you care so much. 

My contents have been pretty standard for roughly the last 4 years- tried and true stuff. Right now, I have some random things (*cough* for the grey horse) I wouldn't normally have, but it's still pretty consistent.

On the left:
The brush side

Black hard curry
Purple glitter gel curry (Hell yes)
Royal blue hard brush
Baby blue medium brush
Oster soft brush
Oster mane/tail brush
Pink glitter comb (Hell yes)
Royal blue hoof pick
Royal blue scissors
Mane pulling comb
Sheepskin mitt

I'm trying to slowly transition my brushes to Oster brushes- I really like the ergonomic grips.

On the right side:
Lotions and potions
Vetrolin Shine (I swear by Eqyss Marigold as my coat conditioner, but I mixed it up a bit; I like it fair enough, but will be back to the Eqyss when this bottle is done)
Pyranha Wipe & Spray- seriously the best, and so satisfying when the flies die as you spray it.
Swat
Fungicide- Candy has been known to get "funk" sometimes, and lately it's been growing on his right leg from being wrapped so much. I used to use Lysol, but picked this bottle up a year or two ago.
Baby wipes- picked these up for Sawyer's green spots and I don't know how I lived before! Great for cleaning up Candy's allergy-related eye goop.
Shapley's Easy Out- for the grey. Probably going to go live in my tack trunk with my ShowSheen as a a "show only" potion.
Vetrolin Liniment gel- I like the gel because it's easier to apply (in my opinion). I use it to massage out all the knots and tense spots.
Black sweat scraper

How I use it to make Candy beautiful:

Hard curry body and upper legs for 10 minutes.
Soft curry body all the way to the coronet bands for 10 minutes.
Flick off dirt with hard brush.
Soft curry face (more like Candy aggressively rubs his face on my hands).
Candy's motto for all brushing/wiping of the face. "If you have no hands, use your face."

Medium brush face.
Soft brush EVERYTHING. Spray a lil bit of coat conditioner, swipe until it dries, and repeat on the ENTIRE horse.
Rub down/buff with sheepskin mitt for about 10 minutes.
Pick feet (fascinating, I know)
Baby wipe face/tears/eye goop/snot bubbles/nose sawdust particles.
Brush tail- let me add, Candy is half Andalusian. He has enough tail for about 3 horses. I can brush that sucker every day and it will not thin.
Brush mane- Andalusian horse. The more I brush, the less I have to pull later.
Fly spray as needed.

This whole she-bang takes a good 45 minutes.

So shiny. Even shinier when he's fly sheeted 24/7.
And then we get turned out and roll. (Circa 2010)
And then snooze in the mud and scare the sh!t out of everyone when we refuse to get up. And no, he wasn't colicking. Stood up, streeeeetched, yawned, and shook it off. (Circa winter 2012)

What do y'all use? I am always looking for more things to add to my arsenal. Right now, all I'm doing is grooming, hand walking and a handful of bareback rides, so anything to pamper Candy is welcome!
-K&C

P.S. Walked in to re-wrap Candy's legs this morning, and saw a barn hand (a guy) petting Candy's nose and face. So sweet.

2 comments :

  1. my grooming regimen is really pretty basic. hard plastic curry (my mare objects to the rubber and gel varieties... well actually she kinda objects to the whole idea in general lol), medium stiffness body brush, and hoof pic. occasional detangler for mane, and liberal dose of fly spray.

    the sad thing is that i actually really enjoy grooming... maybe if i had a creature that was as into it as Candy i'd have a better arsenal of products?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mare's coat looks amazing, though!

      Sawyer was very thin-skinned, and I had no idea what to do with myself when I couldn't curry for 20 minutes. So he got buffed with a sheepskin mitt- he seemed to enjoy that.

      Candy will forever be a show horse in his mind... ;)

      Delete