Thursday, November 16, 2017

1 Step Forward, 500 Steps Backward

So owning Sailor has been a saga. I have gone from sitting a few bucks and laughing to ugly crying the second he flicks his tail and snorts in disagreement.

About 1 month after I got him, Sailor reared and bucked with me. We had a few training rides, a few lessons, and all seemed to be well-tense and guarded, but well.

Then we had a jump lesson over crossrails, and he BRONC'd after every fence. We stopped the lesson early, and I called the vet, and the chiropractor, and my mom, and my boyfriend.

Saddle went off to be adjusted. Sailor got adjusted. And I emptied my wallet.

Sailor got 3 weeks off because my work schedule made it convenient, and I thought it was a great rest for his back and a good way to spend his time while the saddle was adjusted.

We started back on the lunge over poles, then in the Pessoa, then on the lunge in the saddle over poles, and he looked so comfortable. So I sat on him, trotted him for 10 minutes, and scheduled a flat lesson.

The flat lesson, he was distracted and anxious. I was anxious. He was willing until we asked for the canter, and he gave me a frantic flat trot. We tried again, and he dove through my outside leg and snorted. The aggressive rider I used to be on Candy and Lexie wasn't there. And I just bawled. So my trainer hopped on, rode through a few micro-bucks and got the canter both directions.

I made the decision to call out a professional saddle fitter, and decided I would not ride him until we addressed the saddle. If the saddle fits, then his back gets X-rayed, and he starts ulcer treatment.

And, as much as it breaks my heart, if we can't figure out our working relationship by the end of the winter, or at least improve it, well. I really hope it's not the case. Riding isn't fun right now. It isn't relaxing. But I like him- I like his canter when he is proud of clearing a fence, I like his big scopey jump when he is nervous.

Here's hoping we can fix him, and start to develop a partnership.

- K & C & S

4 comments :

  1. Sending you lots of hugs <3 It's no fun to ride a horse that makes you nervous and I hope you're able to figure out what's causing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you find a resolution to your issues with Sailor. I can't strongly enough suggest back x-rays. So much of what you wrote resonates with me. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like I said in your last post, so sorry you’re going through this! Hopefully you’ll come to find out whatever it is thats causing it, be it vet work, or training or whatever. Fingers crossed this is the end of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh I am sorry you are going through this and I hope you find the solution!

    ReplyDelete