Friday, December 18, 2015

Doug Payne Clinic Recap: Day 2

While I may have been underprepared the first day, I came ready to jump the second! Again, focus was on collection, finding a good canter, and steering. Once again, we struggled with steering, but found our canter, and re-learned collection! Lexie got a bit tired and flat towards the end, and I really struggled with the skinny jumps throughout the entire day.

First round of fences.

Four minutes of a hot mess over skinny jumps, and cute Lexie over bigger fences.

Overall though, I saw a major improvement in my ride. I definitely "clicked" with Lexie, and felt incredibly comfortable over the 2'9, 3'0 jumps at the end of the day. So while I wasn't perfect (and was far from it), I felt more confident and capable riding Lexie than I before the clinic. Even as a hunter-jumper, I felt like the exercises were helpful and beneficial across all English jumping disciplines. Doug was so patient, kind, and professional; even though I spent 99% of the clinic screwing up one way or another, he made me feel very comfortable asking questions.  If you ever get a chance to ride with Doug Payne- I highly recommend it.

Merry Christmas!

- K & C & L

2 comments :

  1. glad you had so much fun! i love the skinny bounces ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to conquer the skinny bounces someday! Gotta keep at it. :)

      Delete