Thursday, June 11, 2015

#tbt

In honor of Candy being declared "baseline lame" (his lameness when I first started having issues with soundness- so not tracking up evenly left vs. right) and being cleared to do bareback walk work (poles, on the bit) for 30 minutes 3-4 times a week. He is still dragging his left hind toe slightly, and not fully tracking up through the left, but there is no hip hike at the trot like there was when I retired him a year ago!

According to the vet, "2 months ago, I would have said he would only be pasture sound. Now, I think there's a good chance you can give him a job." 

So without further ado, here's a #tbt of me and the Candy Man through the years.
A couple days old with his nurse mare.
Yearling Candy. Forever a dweeb with a tiny forelock.
First show EVER. Note my pink polo and matching boot socks in my too-short, fake leather pull on tall boots, and Troxel.

First off the property hunter show.
An off the property show where, by the grace of God, we only got eliminated 1/4 o/f classes back when I did Eq and Hunters.
Last lesson on him before starting a lease the spring before college.

First show after he became "mine" officially. Note the rolls of fat.
Candy's first 3' jump. Poetry in motion- aggressive slam poetry written by an angsty 13 year old.
First 3' jumper show- a year after refining and editing said poetry in motion. Before I discovered coat conditioning, excessive currying, and fly sheets.
When we tried to become eventers, and I discovered fly bonnets (his "thinking caps") helped his head shaking.
Novice CT. We also did a Training CT that day- the highest jumps we've ever shown and placed 2nd out of 3.
Last fence before his retirement.
This is the first time in a long time I've let myself feel optimistic about Candy's future as semi-retired (I know, I know, I keep moving him in and out of retirement, but he still feels and acts like he has miles left in him while I just want him comfortable and happy.). I'm still taking it very very slowly, and cautiously, but I'm happy that the vet sees progress and thinks he can be pushed a bit more on the flat.

-K & C

PS- Just peeked at my (tiny) follower count- with the exception of 'Fraidy Cat Eventing- it looks like it's the Bay Brigade!

No comments :

Post a Comment